Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Slowing down... a bit, the big taper.

 I have qualified for the big event. I will be competing in a total of 6 events: 50m Freestyle, 50m Butterfly, 50m Backstroke, 100m Freestyle(the best by far), 200m Freestyle Relay and 200m IM Relay.

The training changes A LOT. We are no longer straining our muscles to get stronger we our training and resting our muscles to get faster. This period of time is called tapering. 

The work outs are the same time but a lot easier. 15x100m's are replaced by 15x25m's. We are now training our  bodies for SPEEEEEED.  There is lots of work on our turns, starts and finishes. There is a thing in swimming that if you take a breath entering or exiting a turn you can lose up to half a second. This is a time of heavy coaching and concentration. 
In these weeks I don't like how there are no hard sets because of tapering, I like working hard more.

As part of getting ready for Provincials we watch motivational videos, set goals for ourselves, play games and have fun.

One goal I set for myself last summer was to swim a 1:02.65 in my 100m Freestyle that would have been a ludicrous time. (I had to use a funny word there). My best time from the summer before was a 1:08.01. I put the new target time on my bedroom wall, bathroom wall and any wall I past from my bedroom to the kitchen. No I didn't put one in the fridge but thats a great idea! Having these great reminders kept me focused on my goal.  I did this because I was after the Provincial Record that was 1:02.91. 

The tapering ended very well. Next stop the big event, hope you all join me for this.
Stay tuned.



5 comments:

  1. I am incredibly impressed by your intense dedication as an athlete. You will make it very far as a swimmer and in life. You are learning valuable skills and I am so thrilled that we get to share in this learning through your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much.... And thanks again for making us have this project I am so inspierd.
    Stay tuned
    N

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Don't you like slowing down a bit after "Hell Week" though? And what is your time? Because I saw that you put your goal time, your past time, and the record time. Nice post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, I'm not sure if you put this in other posts, but what places did you get at Provincials?
    And OMGosh, 4 entire lengths in just over a minute? How can you survive? I slow down enormously at the end of the 2nd length! Then again, I don't do speed, and I don't swim with NSWC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow,it sounds like you a really fast swimmer
    When is provincials?

    Your training sounds like it is very hard.
    You have a great way of writting about your swimming.
    I really liked the "MAKE IT OR BREAK IT" post.
    Good luck keep on swimming!!
    Good blog!

    ReplyDelete